Friday 15 April 2011

Alloy Wheels

Final wheel

Selecting the spoke pattern
Creating the spokes
Final Rendered Chrome Alloy
Making the alloy wheels for the Aston Martin was actually a lot easier than I first imagined it would be, firstly all I needed to do was to make a stumpy cylinder and create more sides. I also needed to convert this to an editable poly.

To start editing the cylinder, I had to delete one half of the cylinder. I then selected the outside edge of the face with no cap on it, and set to extruding it to make a tyre like shape. Next was to extrude the edge towards the middle, this made the pattern of an alloy. Then to make the pattern I wished for, I selected the polys that I wouldn't need and extruded them too.

Once the pattern of the spokes was starting to take shape, the next task was to delete the selected polys, and fill the holes they had left, this was done by using the bridge tool. This completed the spokes on the alloy. Towards the centre of the alloy, I had left a circular shape, this was to complete the look of the alloy, and is to look like the central part of the alloy where the wheel is screwed on. To make the design and to make it look like the wheel had sections where it was screwed on, I used the same technique to select the pattern as I had done for the creation of the spokes. These polys were too then extruded, but not deleted on this occasion.

Nearly done now, and the tyre needs to be completed, so I selected it and used a symmetry modifier for it, I needed to fill in a few holes that the spokes had left, but that was done simply but using the create tool under the poly section.

Finally, I selected the spokes and added a turbo smooth modifier to them and also a chrome material foudn on the arc and design tools. This gave the wheels a very good effect and made them look like the belong on an Aston Martin.  The one issue I had was with the tyres, this I found was too difficult and time consuming seeing as I had spent too long focusing on the Aston and needed to make other models. So for the tyre I just added a black material.

No comments:

Post a Comment